DIY Poo Poo Bathroom Spray
I can tell you this Poo Poo Bathroom Spray that really works!!
We have all laughed about my previous post on the Poo-pourri bathroom spray commercials but this stuff really works! This is a copycat recipe for the poopourri spray tried and tested!
Here’s why this spray is different that any other. You spray it in the bowl before you go to the bathroom! By spraying this on the water before you sit down it will create a barrier over to top of the water trapping all of the waste and odor below the barrier!!! So basically by applying a spray on top of the bowl that has oil in it is will do the same thing.
The stuff is amazing, freaking brilliant! If you have no interest in making your own spray you can always find Poopourri on Amazon here too.
This may show my age but… do you remember the Dawn dish washing commercial where they show you a greasy pan filled with water. You then put one drop of dawn soap into that dish and it spreads the grease and grim to the edges making it almost disappear. It’s basically doing the same thing without the Dawn effect. Spraying the top of the water with the spray to create that barrier you need.
Now I am sure the the Poo Pourri company has a special blend of their own but I was hard core bent on creating my own. I love essential oils and all the things we can do with them so I have a lot on hand. My experiment juices started flowing and before you know it I was testing and re-testing a concoction of my own!
This started off pretty easy. After looking on the internet to see if anyone else had done this yet I didn’t find anything that worked. Sure, there are others that claim they have a recipe but I’ve tried them all and they don’t work well enough for me. I’ve even consulted with many experts on the matter too! I learned about denatured alcohol and how it’s in most of the sprays today. Its has very low odor unlike rubbing alcohol.
“Denatured alcohol is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) that has been made unfit for human consumption by adding another chemical to it. Denaturing refers to removing a property from the alcohol (being able to drink it), not to chemically altering or decomposing it.” (Source: About.com)
After researching the ingredients I decided not to even bother with denatured alcohol at all.
It took me about 7 days to get the recipe just right. On day 7 my husband finally says IT WORKS! IT REALLY WORKS!!! He insisted I mention that it works so well there’s no need for a courtesy flush either which will save money in the long run! (Isn’t he cute?!!) My money saving demands are rubbing off on him. lol…
I’ve made all of my family test the spray themselves and finally came up with this recipe!
- 1 – 5 oz spray bottle (Here’s a Cobalt Blue spray bottle I found here on Amazon)
- 4 oz distilled water
- 25 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
- 15 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 1 teaspoon of NOW Solutions Glycerine Vegetable (I found this is a good thickening agent to help the barrier)
UPDATE: If you decide you want to use the denatured alcohol (as some have requested) you can use a a 25/75 mixture of (75%) distilled water to (25%) denatured alcohol mix in any of these recipes. (see below for other uses for denatured alcohol)
or you can make a smaller size also:
- 1 – 2oz spray bottle (I found these at Walmart in the travel section for under a dollar)
- 1.75 oz distilled water
- 15 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of NOW Solutions Glycerine Vegetable (I found this is a good thickening agent to help the barrier)
UPDATE #2: Since making this recipe I have learned that there is a HUGE difference in Essential Oils. HUGE! After many days of research, along with a convincing friend that helped me understand the difference, I have started using Young Living Essential Oils. They are amazing! The colors are vibrant! The scents are way different! And you can even tell the difference in the velocity of the oil. Read more about Young Living Essential Oils here.
You can use more essential oils based on your likes. This is the blend that I found that smells exactly like the original Poo pourri spray and works just as good! I highly encourage you to mix and match your essential oils to create a smell that is pleasant to you if you want to experiment. You will have to shake it up before using it though. I imagined if you used the denatured alcohol it may not require shaking it up but I didn’t test this.
I’ve also included two other labels 1. Stink Away Spray 2. Poop Coverup Spray
I’ve created a few printable labels that will fit on the 2 oz or 5 oz bottles. I decided to go with a glass bottle for my bathroom and a plastic bottle for the kids bathroom.
Now be sure to sign up for our Newsletter because we are always providing valuable information with extra freebies for our subscribers only. Sign up here. (We don’t spam you, we hate spam too)
Download your free printable labels here: Poo Poo Spray Printable Labels
Other Uses for Denatured Alcohol:
(I’m all about saving money and I would hate for you to purchase denatured alcohol without having other things to use it for)
- Latex Paint Removal (source: ehow)
- Glass and Mirrors cleaner: Use a 50/50 mix between denatured alcohol and water to create a streak free shine to your windows. It evaporates quickly!
- Ink Stain Removal: (always test a small spot first) use a damp cloth and blot the area to remove the stain.
- Hard surface cleaner: The same 50/50 mix for glass cleaner can be used on hard surfaces such as tile, wood, metal and plastic. Tip: always pour it on a towel first and never directly onto the surface). Denatured alcohol is a mild solvent that dissolves grease too! (Source: DoItYourself.com)
Hope that helps!