Healthy Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Recipe
Make a delicious meal with just a few ingredients.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 pounds ground beef ground turkey, or sausage - or a mix between them all.
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 small head cabbage chopped
- 2 14.5 ounces cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 6 ounces can tomato paste
- 6 oz water or part vegetable or broth for more flavor
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional for extra spice:
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- A few leaves of chopped fresh basil
Heat a Dutch oven or extra large skillet over medium-high heat.
Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil and cook the onions until translucent. Cook beef or turkey meat and onion in the hot Dutch oven until browned.
Drain and discard grease.
Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, and fresh basil. I found by using the fire roasted tomatoes it made a huge difference in taste.
Bring the ingredients to a boil.
Cover Dutch oven, reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is tender. This will take about 30 minutes.
(Note: It may seem like you don't have enough water at first but when the cabbage cooks down it will be perfect)
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 3.2g | Protein: 25.5g | Fat: 4.6g | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 1.8g