Healthy Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
There are tons of healthy unstuffed cabbage rolls recipes out there, but I ended up making mine with a bit more spice to bring it to a whole new level. Not only that but I am trying to eat more of the super foods like cabbage. In fact, I was just reading on Wiki that studies show cabbage has protective effects against colon cancer amongst many other diseases. Cabbage is also an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin B6 and folate. So you may as well make an awesome recipe with something that is really good for you right?!
There are few “healthy” recipes that the whole family agrees upon but this is one they all like. If you don’t like spice, I suggest not adding the crushed red pepper. It’s not too spicy but the kids will notice it.
UPDATE: This recipe has been extremely popular and lots of readers have commented on different spices they have used to make it even better. Here are some suggestions I’ve received:
- add a little brown sugar, celery seed with some crushed red pepper
- Add 1 Tbs of Worcestershire sauce ….. I PROMSE its make the whole dish
I always make a huge batch of this dish because it gets devoured in no time. My Cuisinart 6 quart pot is the best!!
If you’ve tried a new spice variation leave a comment below! I would love to hear about it.
- 2 pounds ground beef (I prefer Turkey meat)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 oz water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional for extra spice:
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- A few leaves of chopped fresh basil
- Heat a Dutch oven or extra large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil and cook the onions until translucent. Cook beef or turkey mean and onion in the hot Dutch oven until browned.
- Drain and discard grease.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin and fresh basil. I found by using the fire roasted tomatoes it made a huge difference in taste.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Cover Dutch oven, reduce heat, and simmer until cabbage is tender. This will take about 30 minutes.
- (Note: It may seem like you don't have enough water at first but when the cabbage cooks down it will be perfect)
Feel free to Pin It for later here: