Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
One of my favorite drinks is the cherry limeade (from Sonic) especially on a hot summer day. I have taken those flavors and turned them into an insanely good cupcake! Introducing Cherry Limeade Cupcakes y’all!
These were a bit hit with the family! We made these from scratch and added a bit of lime juice and lime zest to the batter and boy, does it taste amazing! The lime zest really does add the right amount of tanginess that pairs perfectly with the sweet cherry frosting.
These are super cute to serve up at a picnic or a bbq party too! We added a bunch of lime green cupcake liners mixed with hot pink cupcake liners to make them look so pretty. We also added straws that we cut in half to give it the illusion of a cherry limeade drink. How cute is that?! Everyone got the biggest kick out of them. These cupcakes were definitely a enjoyed by all!
Tip: Freeze the cherries so they don’t slide right off of the frosting when you serve them. I wouldn’t leave these cupcakes outside for too long either. You don’t want those cute toppings to slide right off the cupcake.
I purchased my green cupcake liners on Amazon because I had the hardest time finding them in the stores. I also grabbed these cute little pink straws on Amazon also. They had the biggest selection that included my favorite chevron design and polkadots too!
Here’s the printable version of this Cherry Limeade Cupcakes recipe. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
- 3/4 C butter unsalted
- 5 C powdered sugar
- Few drops red food coloring
- 3 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice
- 12 maraschino cherries lime slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift all-purpose flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the flour and whisk place to the side.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using a paddle, whip together butter, sugar until pale and fluffy
- Mix in egg, then the egg whites one at a time, add in the vanilla with 2nd egg white.
- In the liquid measuring cup add buttermilk,and lime juice whisk together
- Begin to mix all ingredients together by adding 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Fill 12 paper lined muffin cups only to 3/4 full so you may get more than 12
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted the center cupcake comes out clean, about 18 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes
- Mix butter, powdered sugar, food coloring and cherry juice together with a hand mixer until it reaches the consistency of frosting.
- Once the frosting is mixed together well, add to a piping bag and pipe it over the cooled cupcakes.
- Top with cherry and lime slices to garnish.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy.