Pokemon GO Startup Guide
Pokemon GO is a new app for Android and iOS devices that allow Pokemon fans to capture various Pokemon around the globe! While still only available in select countries, the hype for this new app has grown to heights not predicted by Niantic, the app’s creator. Pokemon fans everywhere are leaving their houses in search of adventure and meeting new people while getting lots and lots of exercise! Thank you Niantic!! I’ve walked more miles in the last two days than I have in the past month!
Pokemon GO uses the GPS on your chosen device to track where you are in real time, allowing you to find Pokemon that are native in your area. Once finding a Pokemon, the app will open up your camera to project the found Pokemon right in front of your eyes, and allow you the chance to capture it by tossing Pokeballs.
Pokemon can be found anywhere, but the types of Pokemon that you will find do depend on your surroundings! If you’re in the city, get ready to find tons of Pidgey and Rattata, as they portray the pigeons and rats naturally found in busy cities.
Looking for some water type Pokemon? Head to the nearest body of water!
Need some bugs or grass types? Try some parks or forested areas!
At the bottom right of the screen, you will notice a few silhouettes of Pokemon. These are the ones that are nearby. Tap on it to see how far away they are by the footprints representing below them. Three footprints means it’s kind of far, you’re going to have to walk some. One footprint means it’s pretty close! Walk around in your general area, and you might find it.
Along with being able to find and catch Pokemon, the GPS map you will be able to find things known as PokeSpots. These blue diamonds that pop up on your map are buildings or landmarks that you can visit, and gain some in-game items to assist you on your Pokemon journey.
You will need to tap on the blue diamond while you are in range, just spin the picture of the landmark that shows up on your phone by swiping either left or right, and items will show up! Tap on those little bubbles to gain those items, and the PokeSpot will turn purple.
Once a Pokespot is purple, you won’t be able to get any more items from it. However, these spots regenerate every five minutes! If you are in dire need of more items, wait around a few minutes and grab some more!
There are various different items that can be attained in Pokemon GO. Some can be found through PokeSpots, some can be gained through leveling up, but there is also the option to spend in-real-life money to purchase these things.
- Pokeballs are what allow you to catch Pokemon. Without them, you won’t be able to catch anything you find!
- Eggs found at PokeSpots can be incubated and hatched! To incubate them, put the egg in an incubator, and take a jog! These eggs hatch by steps taken, and being in a car won’t help you here! The distance that these eggs will hatch depends on the rarity of what Pokemon is in it. 2km = common. 5km = uncommon. 10km = rare!
- Incense are items that you can use on your own player character. By tapping the incense on your screen, a pink mist will form around you. For 30 minutes, Pokemon will be attracted to you! Get your Pokeballs ready, because you will be busy!
- Lucky Eggs are different than normal eggs. Lucky Eggs CANNOT be hatched! Instead, purchasing or using a lucky egg will boost the Exp. you gain by x2 for 30 minutes!
- Lure Modules are similar to incense, except you don’t use them on yourself. Head to the closest Pokespot, because a Lure Module is placed on the landmark itself! It lasts for 30 minutes, and Pokemon will be attracted to it. And the best part, is that everyone benefits from it! Place a Lure Module and watch people and Pokemon run to your area!
- Berries are extremely useful when you are finding it difficult to catch a Pokemon you want. Sometimes after you try to capture a Pokemon, it will jump out of the Pokeball and refuse to be caught. Feed it a berry, and the chance of it breaking out will go down, making the capture much more simple.
- Revives and Potions will be useful once you hit level 5, as those are used to restore your Pokemon’s HP or Hit Points.
Another thing that can be found on your map are Pokemon Gyms. Once you reach level 5 in Pokemon GO, you can partake in gym battles!
Before doing so, the game will prompt you to choose one of three teams: Team Valor, Team Mystic, and Team Instinct. Also known as Teams Red, Blue, and Yellow. Once choosing a team, you will work together with others on the same team to claim these gym spots! To claim them, simply tap on the gym, and choose a Pokemon that you have previously captured to leave there.
NOTE: You will want to leave a strong Pokemon in there!! Members of other teams can come along and battle the Pokemon you leave in there. If they win, that team takes over the gym! However, members on your own team can also come along to battle your Pokemon in the gym, but if they succeed, it’s a win-win! That member can then put a Pokemon to assist yours in that gym, making that gym spot even stronger!
Now, to challenge gyms successfully, you are going to need some strong Pokemon. Click on any of your Pokemon, and you will notice their CP. That’s their Combat Power. The higher that number is, the stronger they are!
To power up a Pokemon, you will need both Stardust and Pokemon Candy. Both are given to you when you catch a Pokemon. For example, catching a Pidgey will give you 100 Stardust and 3 Pidgey Candy.
Stardust is only used in making your Pokemon stronger, but Candy can also be used to evolve your Pokemon. The amount of Candy needed to evolve a Pokemon varies, so make sure to see just how many your Pokemon needs!
Evolving outweighs Powering up, so if you can evolve, make sure you do so! Though, do keep note that not all Pokemon can evolve, so if you don’t see the option to evolve, don’t freak out! It’s not a glitch, it’s normal.
Pokemon GO is still in it’s beginning stages, and while Niantic is promising some additions in the future, these basics should be viable to anyone just starting out, whether you’re starting near the release date, or later on in the future. Go out, make some friends, and catch ‘em all! GO TEAM BLUE!!!!
I want to mention something pretty important when you are on the go with this game. Be sure to be aware of your surroundings. You know there are always Team Rocket types out there. Be smart about where you stop. Be cautious about where you are and who you talk to. I always meet other people in popular areas that have lots of people already there. If I go to an area that’s dark, I won’t even get out of my car. You can get close enough to most areas without having to leave your vehicle. Use the buddy system! When I am in my vehicle driving I always make my kids work my phone on the go. I would never, ever drive while playing this game. It’s not worth it!
Caution: Be sure to read our Pokemon GO Safety Tips article here because we include a pretty dangerous situation that happened to us.
Here’s a fun car decal for Pokemon GOer’s that you can purchase on Etsy!
If you enjoy the game, I bet you will love our Pokeball Oreo Pops recipe!