Felt Tree Ornament Craft
This Felt Tree Ornament Craft idea was super fun to make with the kiddos.
It can also give an intro to sewing with a needle and thread for age appropriate kids too. It’s fun to see them accomplish something on their own. It really helps to boost their self-esteem but more importantly, it teaches them real-life skills they will use in the future. Just think of how many times you needed to sew on a button that came off or maybe even hem up a pair of new pants you wished fit you better?
This craft project idea could lead to a love for sewing! Next thing you know you will be at the craft store scooping out the sewing section for a brand new sewing machine. I say this because this is exactly how my kids got started sewing! Not many kids today know how to sew. I don’t think they’ve been introduced to it to even know if they might enjoy it or not.
Felt Tree Ornament Craft Supplies Needed
- White felt
- Christmas twine
- Green thread
- Cotton balls
- Red and green buttons
- Clear glue and white glitter (optional)
- Hot glue/hot glue gun
Christmas Tree Felt Craft Instructions
1. Cut two of the exact same triangles from your white felt and place one on top of the other.
2. Thread a needle with your green thread and sew the edges together with a basic blanket stitch leaving a small opening.
3. Stuff cotton balls into the small opening until your tree is full, sew the opening together and tie the ends off into a knot.
4. Cut a 6″ piece of Christmas twine, tie the ends into a knot and glue the knot to the back of your tree.
5. Carefully glue your red and green buttons all over the front of the tree.
6. (Optional step) Rub a small amount of glitter onto the white of the tree, sprinkle with glitter and let dry.
Don’t forget to Pin it on Pinterest for later!