Easy Skull Cookies
Easy Skull Cookies
Here’s a recipe for easy Skull Cookies that just about any level of expertise can do. We love simple recipes and I bet you even the kids will jump on board to help decorate these skull cookies. Perfect for all of your Halloween festivities too.
Here are a few tips about this recipe. You want to make sure your icing is stiff enough. Make sure to allow plenty of time for the white icing layer to dry before you begin decorating the skull face. If you don’t want to make the icing yourself you can always buy
Be sure to buy the skull cookie cutter too. We wanted to show you an easy recipe with only two colors but you can always add tons of color to these skull cookies and get a real “wow” factor! Some of my friends say they are just not that creative to do something with lots of color and I say you don’t have to be. Just look at these skull cookie cutter stamps. They imprint a design on the skull cookie and even give you an idea of just how much color you can add to make them look amazing! The design on the cutter is the guide to follow. No experience or extra talent needed.
I absolutely love spending quality time in the kitchen with my kids. After we made this batch of cookies we turned some of them into girls by placing a pink icing bow on top of some.
- Cookie Ingredients:
- 5 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C soft unsalted butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- Skull Cookie Cutter
- Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Black gel food coloring
- Cookie Directions:
- - Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- -Add all 4 eggs at one time...Continue to mix. -Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
- -Sift the four, baking powder, and salt together.
- -Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- -Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- -Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- -Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- -Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- -Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- - Put flour out on the wood cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and work some flour into the batter. (if needed)
- -Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the skull cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
- -Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- -Using a metal spatula move the cut skull cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- -Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- -Take the skull cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
- Icing Directions:
- -Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- -If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- - Divide the icing between 2 bowls. In the first bowl put 2/3 of icing leaving it white.
- -Add several drops of black gel food coloring in the second bowl of icing (about 1/3). Stir well to mix the color.
- -Spoon each color of icing into individual frosting bags with a #5 tips. Twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip.
- Skull cookies:
- -Outline each of the skull cookies in white then fill the cookies in with the thinner white icing. *
- - *Squeeze the majority of the icing into a bowl then add 1 tsp of water to this and mix it in. - -- -Leave a small amount of the icing in the frosting bag for later use on the cookies.
- -Make different shapes for the eyes from circles to one circle and an egg shaped eye.
- -Outline the shape of the eye first then fill it in,
- -The nose is an upside down V again outline first to get the basic shape then fill in with black icing,
- -The mouth is a row of teeth both top and bottom just outlined in black with a black line dividing them length wise.
- -Allow the cookies to dry from 5-10 hours.
Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy.
Fantastic!!! They look great!