We love, love, love Sour Patch Kids candies so we thought of a fun idea to make a Sour Patch Kids Cupcakes Recipe! It couldn’t have turned out any better than it did! This Sour Patch Kids Cake is a tasty dessert you and your kids will enjoy.
The colors and candies are what make this recipe extra special. We found the Neon Food Coloring by McCormick to work especially well!! We also sprinkled the top of each cupcake with Wilton’s clear sugar sprinkles to give it the look of Sour Patch Kids! Worked perfectly!
Sour Patch Kids Cupcakes
This recipe is super simple because we made it with a Pillsbury box cake mix but we added a few extra ingredients. So next time you want to make a simple box mix of cupcakes, just add an extra touch like this to make it seem like you spent hours making them!
Can This Be Made Into A Sour Patch Kids Cake
Yes! You sure can do a cake instead of cupcakes. You could do a layered cake or a 9×13 size pan. Then add on the frosting and you could place a Sour Patch Kid on top of each slice if you wanted.
You could do one color for frosting or do it a different color for different areas of the cake.
Sour Patch Kids Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 Cake Mix we used Pillsbury
- 3 Eggs that's what my cake mix called for
- 1 cup Water that's what my cake mix called for
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil that's what my cake mix called for
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 2 cup Butter softened
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 8 cup Powdered Sugar
- Neon Food Coloring
- 24 Sour Patch kids Candies
- 1/8 cup Sugar
- 1/8 cup Citric Acid I found mine in the canning section at Walmart
- Make cupcakes according to your cake package directions.
- Let cool.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and add vanilla.
- Mix in the confectioners sugar one cup at a time.
- Beat in the milk
- Divide equally based on the number of colors you want to make.
- Mix food color into each portion to achieve the desired shade.
- Transfer icing to a large sized Ziploc bag or icing/piping Bag
- Ice the top of each cupcake.
- Mix together sugar and citric acid.
- Dust the top of each cupcake with sugar mixture.
- Place 1 Sour Patch Kid on top of each cupcake.
Pro Tip: You can use a Ziploc baggie or a pipping bag to frost your cupcakes. The Ziploc baggie will give you a smooth look. I would not use the generic baggies though. They are not as strong as Ziplock and they will break.
How To Store The Sour Patch Cupcakes
You will want to store your cupcakes in the fridge in an airtight container. The frosting will hold up best if stored in the fridge. Now, you will want to eat these cupcakes within 5 days, or they will begin to get pretty dry.
Can I Use Homemade Cake Instead of Box
Yes. Just whip up your cake recipe, and then pour into cupcake tin and then bake until they are ready. Or if you are making a cake, go ahead and bake and frost like you want.
Can You Freeze Sour Patch Kids Cupcakes
Absolutely. Place them in a freezer friendly container and freeze up to two months. When you are ready to serve, thaw on the counter or place in the fridge and let them thaw that way.