Easy Burrito Casserole Recipe
I cannot believe how crazy the kids went for my easy burrito casserole recipe. I guess a really tasty recipe doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact, I just taught my daughter how to make it. The hardest part to this recipe is frying the meat. I’ve been making this recipe for years. Sometimes I end up changing it up just a tad to use what is left in my pantry for the month. I will explain this more in the instructions below. I use a square casserole dish as seen here for this recipe. Works perfectly! You could double this recipe and use a large casserole dish like this if you are serving a large crowd.
- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning or chili seasoning
- 6 large flour tortillas or 10 corn tortillas
- 1 16 oz can refried beans
- 3 cups shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 10 oz can cheese soup or cream of mushroom soup both are great!
- 4 oz sour cream
- optional: hot sauce
- optional: top with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes
- Brown the meat and onion, then drain. Add the meat and the beans together.
- Add the seasoning packet.
- In a separate bowl combine the sour cream and soup and mix it together.
- Spray the bottom of your casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Spread a layer of the soup mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Tear up half the tortillas in big sections and layer them over the soup mixture.
- Spread 1/2 the meat and beans mixture as the next layer.
- Add a layer of shredded cheese.
- Optional: Add hot sauce as the final layer
- Repeat the layers one more time to complete the casserole.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake it uncovered for about 20 to 25 minutes minutes at 350 degrees.
- Note: This recipe was able to serve my family of four two times.
This recipe can be made with a couple different ingredients. I ran out of cheese soup and used cream of mushroom soup in it’s place and it still came out amazing. I’ve also ran out of taco seasoning and used a chili seasoning packet in it’s place. It also came out amazing. I may even like the chili seasoning more than the taco seasoning. The flavor it a bit bolder. I like that!
Serve this dish with shredded lettuce and tomatoes too!
Here’s a Pinterest friendly photo in case you want to pin it for later: